Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

                                            Finger licking Chicken Jalfrezi!


A year and half ago when I got married, my husband had NO idea what in the world chicken jalfrezi was. Just like a lot of the foods he mentioned to me I never heard of or my mom never made. This is one of my favorite dishes growing up thanks to my mom. A lot of people actually have NOT heard of chicken Jalfrezi but honestly...it's the easiest desi dish EVER! If someone you know is a foodie, and loves the 'extra' condiments and 'stuff' in their food...I can promise you this will be a hit just like it now is with my husband! My husband is always requesting this or Kari Khaosay This can also be a healthy desi dish for picky eaters like me or your kids if you end up using everything organic with little to no salt in the dish since the spices already have salt.

I had a long day of work, and he's going out of town tomorrow for work...so whats better than making his favorite dish which just happens to be quick to make!

Ingredients-Total time to prep and cook 1 hour
-Boneless Chicken( I used boneless tender it was easier to cut up)
-1 cup 1/2 to 1inch wide green peppers/capsicum
-1/2 cup 1/2 to 1 inch wide red peppers/capsicum(cut to your desire liking Julien cut should be fine too)
-1 tablespoon oil
-Pinch of salt
-1 cup finely chopped onion for base
-1/2 cup to 1 cup square cut(just like the peppers) onions
-1 1/2 tablespoon Garlic Ginger paste
-2 tomatoes or 1 1/2 cup tomato puree 
-Chicken Jalfrezi Masala( I used SHAN)-Optional
-If you don't have it, you can use chicken masala, achar gosht or chicken, and tandoori masala of any meat. Use this if you don't have the chicken jalfrezi masala but two of these with CJ masala will work too. I use CJ, Chicken and Achar masala
-Garam Masala 1/2 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder(optional)
-1/2 tablespoon red chili powder OR paprika OR cayenne pepper 
- 1 bay leaf(optional)
- 1 Green chili pepper (optional)
- 2 whole red chili pepper (optional)

Step 1
Cut and clean the chicken and set aside. Heat a pan, work, pot on medium and add oil and bay leaf. Add the chopped onion for base and let it soften. Add pinch of salt to help it soften quicker and not burn. Once is translucent...add chopped tomatoes or tomato puree.

Step 2
FOLD the tomatoe and onion mixture once its looks pasty and you see tiny bit of oil separate. Add Ginger garlic paste and fold until you it dissolves.

Step 3
Add garam masala, turmeric powder, chicken jalfrezi and/or other masalas, and Paprika or any red spice powder you have decided on. By now itll be a thick tomato paste so keep folding and mixing on medium heat. Stick in the chicken and fold. 

Step 4
Cook on medium heat and cook chicken for 10 mins until it's color appears red/yellow. Add in the square cut Bell peppers, and onions. Mix and fold.
You can serve this as a pure masala by leaving as is, or add water for a more liquid like curry.

Step 5
I add half cup of water, put the lid on so chicken could cook more. Stir the curry and add half cup more and cover. You can serve this with Boiled white rice or fried rice. 



Hope you guys enjoyed this recipe! It's a cult fave in my home! If you do try it out, please do let me know! I love when my viewers send me pics of anything I've mentioned on my page :)




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images