Kari Khousay...Everyone's Favorite!

Friday, October 09, 2015

Let me tell you something...my mom is an amazing cook. That being said, She never taught me how to cook, I just watched and learned on my own. 

 I've made one or two things here and there but I first started cooking desi food when I got married almost four months ago. My husband is a huge foodie, he's one of those people that likes the "extra" ingredients in foods and most of the time needs hot sauce with his food. My recipes are not mimicked from YouTube videos, TV, or cookbooks. I simply believe to make desi food the same main five to six ingredients go in every dish in the same order! I haven't made one disappointing dish yet, and I hope I never do! I'm glad I have an eye for food and flavor like my mother. We learned on our own and that is what makes us such great wives! I have no idea why moms take sometimes all day to cook, because I cook my food in half the time! So if you’re looking for a quick fun dish to try, look no further! 



In my last post I presented my last nights dinner...and many of you have been asking for my Kari Khousay recipe so I thought that should be my next post! Kari Khousay is a Burmese dish, consists of a chicken curry base, kari(similar to Thai coconut Kari/curry) and Khousay meaning spaghetti! I've made this twice in one week now....once in Boston for my sister, brother in law and friend...and the other time few days ago for my husband. The first time I made it was back in July, and I was totally impressed! So here is my recipe...


What you need
1. diced chicken pieces
2. coconut milk(2 cans for about 3 servings)
3. 1 tablespoon Chinese Salt
4. 2 table spoons Chilli Powder
5.1 tablespoon Gharam Masala
6. pinch each of Turmeric for chicken marination and kari
7.3 tablespoons of Gram Flour
8.1 yellow onion
9. 1 tablespoon Cumin and Coriander Powder
10. 1 tablespoon Tikka Boti Masala/chicken curry
11. Box of thin spaghetti
11. Vegetable Oil
12. Red pepper flakes
13. Boiled eggs
14. Green onion chopped
15. Garlic chopped


Prep
After you dice the chicken, Marinate in ginger and garlic paste, turmeric, and chilli powder. Refrigerate at least an hour.

Dice Onion and tomatoes and put aside.

Go ahead and dry fry your chopped garlic for garnishing, take out put aside and do same with the red pepper flakes. It adds a great smokey flavor!

Step 1
Put 2 tablespoons of oil into the pan, let it get hot and put in the onions. Let the onion brown a bit for 5-6 mins. After they are brown put in the tomatoes.

Step 2
When the tomatoes are in, add a teaspoon of salt so it helps the onion and tomatoe create a paste. Keep folding the two for ten mins, until the oil separates from the mixture.

Step 3
Put in more of the garlic ginger paste once it has formed into a sauce/salaan like texture. Add the chicken in along with all dry masalas. Gharam masala, chilli powder, cumin powder and if you want, you can add green chilli's as well. 
It should basically look like chicken curry/salan except with smaller pieces.


Step 4
Start making the Kari, open 2-3 cans of coconut milk. Pour the milk into the pot and let it boil on medium heat. take a small plastic container or cup, take 2 tablespoon of water and a pinch of turmeric/haldi and mix it in the water, pour the "yellow" water into the coconut milk on the stove. Keep mixing! it takes a couple of minute for the kari to turn yellow, so don't add anymore turmeric until the milk is boiling and it's actual color shows. 





Step 5
Add one tablespoon chili powder, one and half tablespoon chinese salt to the kari to add some flavor. At this point the kari is tasting flat until you add these two in. It should taste like thai curry but desi style because of the chili powder. To thicken the kari, mix water and 3 tablespoons of Chana flour/Atta in 2 tablespoons of water like you did for turmeric...mix and pour into your kari. 
*Cook kari on medium high heat, the texture, and flavor will only form when it's cooked correctly.*

Step 6
Boil water, add salt and olive oil. Add the thin spaghetti and drain and serve when done. 

*Garnishing* 
I usually use all the garnishing items I listed! Red pepper flakes, Garlic, Boiled egg and green onion! Enjoy!!!












You Might Also Like

2 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images